links week fourteen
This week I spent some time thinking about hoarding.
Specifically, toilet paper hoarding. I’ve yet to venture out this week to the grocery, but the TP situation in my house is on its way to dire. I was able to procure napkins a week ago, so… needs must.
The only hoarding I’ve managed to do, back when it was just called “collecting” was of alcohol. I’m a little proud of my strange Shochu collection, largely enabled by my friends over at Umami Mart (who’re still doing curbside pickup in the East Bay, btw).
As you can tell from the photo, I’m prepared. You can also tell that Snorri is quite glad I’m constantly around right now, since he gets a 24/7 warm body to sleep on, and climb on. He’s only demanded things a few times.
Much of this quarantine has felt similar to my normal life, albeit with a touch more agoraphobia than usual. I spent a lot of time when I wasn’t at work sitting at home in the before times and I’m fortunate it’s to my liking. I guess I miss seeing people occasionally, or going to restaurants a little, but we’ll see if even I hit my limit. I spent around 4 years leaving my house minimally when I lived in Portland, and now I also have the aid of a therapist and medicine, so.
If your situation is different or tougher, I send you my love and a 6m distant hug. I know a few folks who’re sick right now, and I hope they heal up again quick.
If you’re like me, you’re online a lot right now to distract and entertain yourself, so I will do what I can to add some levity. Here’s the links:
- Can you believe it’s been 30 years since Shadowrun first launched? Frankly, I’m a little shocked. This is a bit like those “Nevermind came out longer ago from now than Led Zepplin’s II” for me. I’ve only played a handful of games in those 30 years, because it seems hard to convince folks not to play D&D, but I spent hours and hours reading the second-edition sourcebooks when I was a kid. Yes, I was the kind of child that read RPG sourcebooks alone. I still do.
- Keeping things in the past I present to you an emulator of the original NEXT browser brought to my attention by Craig Mod during a private live-streamed design of a website he did yesterday. I think it’s a bit cool how many folks have started ambient live-streams of various activities. It feels like a very low-key way to hang out with people.
- Another blast from the past—wow this week—is You Look Nice Today. They’ve returned with California King and have stayed funny and delightful. I don’t think I’d seen much of Scott since the old days of YLNT, but I’m always down for yet another Merlin man joint. If you decide to listen to the archives of YLNT, perhaps keep in mind that they’ve grown a bit as people, and you might hear some less than ideal content in the old ones. Que sera sera.
- During a foraging session, I managed to buy some whole wheat starter, but no yeast. No matter, I’ve begun to make a starter. This feels a little prairie home for me, but I’m looking forward to more bread because going out to buy fresh baguette every few days is not a good quarantine habit, I’ve found. I’ll report back on the bread in the future.
- Finally, I share with you a regular ‘ol blog from a few writers similarly stuck into their homes.
Thanks to those of you who’ve emailed me in the past few weeks to chat or comment on the email! I really love reading stuff from y’all, and will try to reply back most of the time. I know folks who’ve subscribed are a bit scattered around the globe, so it’s nice to get the chance to catch-up through the asynchronous magic of email and RSS. If any of you keep a blog or have a newsletter, definitely let me know. I’m logging off for now to go watch the second season of Ozark and whittle down a bit of that shochu collection. See you next week, space cowgirls~