Fennel & Dill 22
It’s been a busy week! At my company, we had Monday and Friday off, and most of our staff took off the entire week. I decided to work through the week for some reason, and ended-up getting a lot done! Suffering from a bout of creative excitement, I also redesigned my site to try to beat the Google performance measure and load fully under two seconds. Yes. I’m a frontend pervert. At one point I almost ditched the entire site and rebuilt it in CSS grid, but cooler heads prevailed (I got a little drunk and decided to just finish the redesign instead).
Did you know we have a cool marina near our IKEA? My pal André showed it to me in a socially distant bike ride, and it’s super fun to ride to, despite the slightly crowded trails. I’m trying to balance my desire to never leave the house with my need for exercise, so we’ll see how many times I head to the marina in the coming weeks.
I hope you’re also not leaving the house much, but you do you.
Here’s some links!
- I think it’s summer now? It’s definitely hot, and so I’ve started reading more Scandinavian fiction to keep the heat low in my head at least. Let’s dive into the world of Tove Jansson together, shall we?
- Whether you’re baking a lot now or not, I bet you don’t know what makes baking soda and baking powder different. There’s your exciting cocktail fact for the week.
- I’m hiding this one 3 links in to try to fool a friend (hi Drew) into reading it. It’s all about making Google Fonts faster, and since I know you all love performance fuckery, you’ll get a kick out of it.
- Every time I return from Japan, I think “why do our trains suck so much?!” In comparison with most of Europe and Asia, the United States lags far behind on train transport, but perhaps not for long. I really hope I get to see high-speed rail in the states while I’m young.
- Finally, here’s America’s number one Merlin talking about his favorite Elliot Smith song.
I did a lot less fun link excavating this week because… well, have you seen the news? All I’ll say about it is: Black lives matter, and cops should be held accountable for their atrocities & Section 230 makes the social web work.
I hope you have some time away from the horrors and sad things of the world, and can take care of yourself, your family, and your friends this week. I’m rooting for you, and I’ll see you next week, space cowgirls~