Well, the long weekend and constant fireworks in Oakland threw me for a loop! I lost track of the days and thought it was Saturday, and I still had an entire evening to prepare this email for you. Alas! Here’s a rare evening edition my newsletter.
- This account is utterly bizarre and so are these warnings. There’s a strangely surreal aspect to a lot of the governments social media, that I can’t tell whether I find charming or depressing.
- If you’re worried about radiation, you could get a dosimeter, but why not breed cats to change colors instead?
- if you need something great to read during the quarantine, why not dive into this short fiction from Murakami about a monkey.
- Building customer service robots while the world burns? That’s par for the course in Silicon Valley. That, and continuously attacking a journalist for reporting on the industry. It would be pretty amazing if folks decided to work on global warming or other pressing global crises, but until then, I guess returning my yoga pants will be better.
- I finished watching Berlin Station this week, and also decided to read the writer of the show’s book series about CIA Tourists.
- Does anyone know why it’s called “chankonabe/ちゃんこ鍋”？I can’t for the life of me find out the etymology of that dish. If you know, hit me up.
- In honor of July 4th, do everyone a favor and read about the racial wealth gap. American capitalism is a pernicious force of white supremacy, and we’ve got to change things.
Thanks again for bearing with me this evening and being patient for these links. I hope your week is relaxing, and you are able to stay inside/social distance and avoid the spike of COVID that’s ravaging most of the states. Keep fighting, and see you next week, space cowgirls~