Another weekend is upon us! Blessed weekend! It’s August, can you believe it?! I read some old journal entries today from the before times and it’s funny to see how much my life and activities were the same as they are now. When this pandemic is wrapped-up, I know I’ll appreciate a quick visit to a wine bar much more, at least for a few weeks. This week also marked the end of my second month of 3x a week workout classes, which I think is making a difference in my energy and emotional health. Have you gotten some exercise recently? Even some stretches can be nice, trust me. Either way, let’s both take a deep inhale…
…and a big exhale.
There now, you’re ready for these links.
- This week marked the 2020 Hugo awards, which means if you enjoy sci-fi and haven’t read a ton this year, you’ll have quite a bit of excellent stuff to catch up on. My plan is to read Emergency Skin by N.K. Jemison this weekend.
- You may have heard about QAnon, the weird new conspiracy cult that popped-up over the past few years, but did you know how it’s destroying families? It turns out when you believe absolutely ridiculous theories, your friends and family tend to steer clear. I’m very curious, and more than a little scared to find out how this whole Q thing shakes out.
- Listen, it might be a rather solitary fall out there, but there’s no reason for you not to look your best. These jackets are a great way to say “fuck it, I dress for me!”
- If you’ve already read all the Hugo-nominated novels and novellas, perhaps you might want to follow BDG’s example and drown your sorrows in Halo. As a one-time reader of Magic the Gathering and Battletech novels, I think I’ll give them a wide-berth, but your mileage may vary.
- This week marked the often bizarre (thanks a lot go-go juice) anti-trust hearing with the leaders of Google, Apple, Facebook, and Amazon. There’s a lot to worry about with the consolidation of power and influence in these tech titans, and I’m not the only one considering how COVID isolation bolsters it.
- Finally, I decided to pick up a fancy new camera to give myself even more reason to go outside and explore a little during this quarantine. It’s been pretty fun, even if most of the photos I’ve taken are of my cat, Snorri.
With the summer dwindling and a very cozy fall in our near future, I hope you’re taking care of yourself, and stockpiling wool blankets and candles. I’m pretty excited for a few books and shows that will launch in the coming months, not to mention the rest of the F1 season still to come. I’m not fully sure what it’ll feel like to keep going with this largely self-quarantined life until next year, but we’ll all learn together, one week at a time. Take care, and enjoy a lazy Sunday for me, space cowgirls~