Dill & Fennel 8-17-20
This weeks email was written an entire day early as I plan to head up a mountain and camp for a night. It’s going to be hot so I hope the mountain is a little cooler. This will be round one of camping during quarantine, and my first camping trip since 2017! I’ve finally found friends who are equally interested in camping and hit me up when they want to do so. It rules.
With a VP candidate announced, and the USPS falling apart, it’s beginning to look at lot like election season. Please vote (for Biden). I know, he’s not great, but he’s all we’ve got this time. Next time, let’s primary the awful old white men.
With that weather and politics update out of the way, let’s get to these links.
I love these eggs.
Many people have been using quarantine as a time to perfect their bread or coffee making skills, but I personally have taken this as an opportunity to make increasingly unsettling eggs pic.twitter.com/7mefhS5ffB— Anna Hughes (@AnnaGHughes) August 14, 2020
- Somehow I haven’t read Trick Mirror yet, despite loving everything Jia Tolentino writes or says during interviews. This is a bracing set of answers that feel pretty close to how I’m feeling these days. Also I have a soft spot for Canadian ex-pats who grew up in Texas.
- Frequently linked author Robin Sloan has a new story online that he built a whole reading platform around. It’s pretty fun and weird, like most of his writing. Recommended.
- Also if you’re reading this and you haven’t dived into the world of Gideon and Harrow, please do. Lesbian. Necromancy. In. Space. Enough said.
- I deeply respect swifts` attitudes toward the ground, which is roughly, “fuck the ground”. Honestly if I could fly, I might feel the same. Also you’ve gotta love a bird that was once “called the “Devil’s bird,” perhaps because those screaming flocks of black crosses around churches seemed pulled from darkness, not light.”
- Ugh, first it was walking and jumping, and now robots have fast, sticky tongues. Honestly though, perhaps the robots should inherit the world after-all.
Shout out to friend of the ‘letter Drl who made me aware of this epic TikTok thread with this delight:
82. THIS IS CALLED “G-NOTING” BTW pic.twitter.com/qPwLcA86n6— Shortkings, by George R. R. Martin (@3liza) January 23, 2019
Stay cool out there friends! This year is far from over, and there’s a lot to get done, think about, and protect our neighbors and ourselves from. Thanks for sticking with me throughout this time, and I hope I can keep bringing you funny, weird, and thought-provoking links indefinitely. As always, stay safe and keep fighting, space cowgirls~