Let’s get SPOOKY!
Bat Cow pic.twitter.com/NvOm5OBHEB— Evil Midweek Cutie⛧ (@lindseybieda) October 8, 2020
We’re only a few days away from what could be a pretty exciting Apple event! If you’ve waited for a while to get a new phone, or really want something smaller, you might just be in luck. Whether the rumors amount to anything, Apple is definitely launching something on Tuesday. I’ll be tuning in.
More than the phone even, I’m excited to see if they actually ship a computer with their own silicon. It seems like the main feature will be performance, with a side of excellent battery life. I can’t wait.
Other than tech shit, this week was nice and chill. The smoke outside continues to plague my bike rides, and the plague is a constant worry, but those are almost background pain at this point.
I hope you’re taking it easy as well, and that you have a neighbor who gives you bonus fruits from their trees! Thanks Haley for the amazing passion fruit!
This week should be good, so let’s get to it:
- It’s always good to start off your Sunday with a little bit of dancing:
thread of moments from the star wars weekends dance offs at disney world because I CANT BELIEVE THIS WAS A REAL THING THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED pic.twitter.com/odwaFnQ5Rs— caitlin (@SITHLEIAS) October 5, 2020
- But remember, while you dance (outside) be sure to wear a good mask and stay well-away from your fellow Ewoks.
- I just learned that my way too brilliant coworker Bert made a finger to tap his Yubikey. This is just the kind of disturbingly smart shit I love. I’m reminded of my friend Mark’s somewhat abandoned project to make a “cloud finger” that would open the garage door to our office a few years ago. Why touch things with your meat fingers, when you can make a single-use robot?
- This gives platform lock-in a whole new meaning. The real dominatrix was insecure APIs the whole time.
- It’s pretty frustrating that anti-privacy advocates in Europe are using the specter of child predation to try to destroy end-to-end encryption. Instead of cursing us with no way to securely communicate, what if those legislators worked on houselessness and ending the wars they started in the global south?
- Sorry, that last one was heavy, so maybe we should play a folk game:
Here’s a thread of all the folk game tiktoks I’ve been collecting for the past few months! Starting with a great use of high stakes pic.twitter.com/nr37kwdjO5— Danny Hawk (@HawkDanny) October 7, 2020
- I’ll leave you with one of my favorite albums this year.
In preparation for sliding candy down chutes into the waiting baskets of masked trick-or-treaters, have you chosen a costume? I get this sense this one will be popular, even though Tiger King feels like it came out two-thousand years ago.
My friend Laura has a way spookier newslettter that she only runs during October but is a daily treat this month. I hope you read it too.
So far deathwatch 2020 hasn’t offered anybody any big winnings, but I know many stay hopeful. The fly this week reminded us that these men are actual pieces of shit.
If you feel up for getting involved a bit and supporting trans rights, this event next week should be good. My friend Haley took me to it last year and I had a great time. Let me know if you want to join!
It’s a few weeks until the election, and I just voted. I hope you do too (this guide was helpful). Keep fighting, keep loving, and I’ll see you next week, space cowgirls~