Another week is in the can, midway through spooky season. I’m seeing some really wild Halloween decorations in my neighborhood, but am still waiting to see the glorious arrival of the Home Depot 12’ skeleton:
Who is he pic.twitter.com/GJ6EszRzaa— Taylor Lorenz (@TaylorLorenz) October 16, 2020
Her arrival will be heralded by the sounds of trumpets.
Are you decorating this year? Are you going to dress up? Are you planning to use a Halloween candy chute, or shoot children with jelly-filled paintballs? The spookiest thing to me is still asymptomatic super-spreaders. I don’t think that would make a very good horror film, but outside of Vampires vs. the Bronx and the Haunting of Bly Manor, I haven’t felt much desire to watch one of those. I am due for a rewatch of Over the Garden Wall though.
- Shout out to all my friends who’ve made mistakes at Home Depot:
Y’all, please watch this. I’m hollering omg 😂😂😂😂😂😂 pic.twitter.com/a7bPSt1FVT— Cameron (@SirCamCarter) October 9, 2020
- Can you believe the sequel to Borat is almost here? Let’s revisit this article by friend of the letter Joe which itself is revisiting the side-characters of Borat. A side note: everything of Joe’s I’ve read was delightful, and I keep randomly stumbling onto them, laughing, and then seeing his byline. Joyful surprise writer of the century.
- Speaking of friends who write, Craig Mod just released his tome on Kissaten, and even though it sold out immediately, he’s doing a second run. Keep this in your bookmarks so you can get one—it’s worth it.
- The many symbiotic industries in our cities are really struggling right now. Shoe-shiners, laundromats, airport vendors, etc are all just hoping they can make it until we go back to work in an office. I can’t help but think we might be approaching a permanent change in work as opposed to a two year hiatus. Time will tell.
- It really rules to see someone so talented thriving despite the racism and inequality of her former workplace. This profile of Sohla El-Waylly was a great read, and I can’t wait to see all her new videos.
- Times are hard, but take it from me, sometimes you’ve just gotta dance alone in your apartment or house:
I have too many clams. This is a weird problem to have, but my most recent order from my fishmonger contained what seems like hundreds of the little shelled suckers, and despite enjoying clams, I have no way to share them. May we all be blessed with such issues of bounty.
I hope you’ve voted! We got our mail-in/drop-off ballots last week, and there are a lot of propositions in California. I found this guide very helpful, and you might as well if you’re still not sure what dots to fill in.
It’s almost November, and since this is a special small group, I’m happy to announce I’m starting my new gig as Ms. Manager at my company on the 2nd. The team I’ll manage is such a kind and smart crew that I’m super lucky to hang out with. I can’t wait! If you have tips on management, or just wanna show off your isolation Halloween costume, please say hi. Until next week, keep voting, keep fighting, and stay safe space cowgirls~