Instead of writing this on Saturday, as I usually do, I drank a lot of nog + aquavit (nogavit) at a distance with my friend Lena, and then watched the show Big Mouth on Netflix.
At some point, I think I even slept a little before trying to get to bed before 2am so I could wake up for a mini-retreat for the Women’s Foundation of Oregon. I am tired.
I have hearing-about-pandemic-fatigue fatigue.— David McCreath (@mccreath)December 6, 2020
We’re starting another 3 weeks of full-lockdown thankfully, as cases skyrocket, and I am incredibly thankful. If folks take this three week period seriously we can make a dent. Please stay home. There’s so much good tv!!
I will keep these links going during lockdown, and maybe they’ll even get weirder? Anyways for now here’s another set:
- Since it wrapped-up last week with a wonderful episode about risotto, I can heartily recommend you watch all of‘How to with John Wilson’. This show is in the vein of a the excellent ‘Going Deep with David Reese’, but is also a strangely gonzo B-roll show. Every episode goes to places previously unimagined, and I’ve laughed-out-loud a bunch watching it.
- Speaking of weird, one of my all-time favorite authors is particularly strange and I think his brand of bizarre storytelling fits this time where little makes sense. Pleaseread Kōbō Abe.
- I’m fascinated by alternate modes of running software companies, so thisvideo app coop is pretty interesting. I doubt it will make serious headway against Zoom, but I do wish folks would seriously consider the implications of using a “free” tool to run their lives. Nothing is everreallyfree except for super neck-beard-y GNU stuff.
- Let’s have a song break!
- Finallya font for chaotic evil designers! I love everything about this. It feels like somethingmy northern friend Haleywould do.
- Join me… inexperiencing mys! You, the one who is cozy now, experience mys! You the one who lit a candle, experience mys!
- I love a minimoon.
- I fell down a rabbit hole this week that led me to watchingthis guydoing a Navy Seals assessment with Eddie Hall. I’m not sure what makes a person want to push themselves to the level of swimming fully around the UK, but hey, it makes an interesting story. I don’t like the ocean much though. Spooky!
THREAD-The time is RIPE for a true Home Alone 3. It’s been 30 years. Kevin McCallister (40) is now the Associste Artistic Director at Carnegie Hall (a Brenda Fricker nod). He and his husband Derek (played by Dan Levy) live in Kevin’s late Uncle’s Townhouse on the UWS.pic.twitter.com/gnIJy7gd9d— Kevin Zak (@KevinJZak)December 6, 2020
- Finally, here are some delightful quilts from some amazingBlack Texan quiltmakers. I love learning about the history here, and that my home state has such amazing women in it.
Sorry this is a little late, but thanks for reading. Have a chill Sunday, and think about the ways you can enjoy new New Years traditions that keep your mouth and air away from other humans. The story of christmas is a weird and likely mythic one, but if you do want to get a weird nativity, here’s another one:
Last night I discovered “minimalist nativity sets” and I am WEEPINGpic.twitter.com/XuRoGq8i1v— Kirby Jones (@kejones_)December 5, 2020
I’m here with you, from my strange bubble to yours, for the rest of the year. Let’s make the most of it. Keep fighting and stay safe, space cowgirls~